Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Cruise4Haiti Delivers Aid
More than 30 humanitarian travelers joined the recent Cruise4Haiti, a pioneering voluncruise that raised significant funds and in-kind donations for charities assisting Haiti as well as provided aid to children in all three ports of call.
This 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Liberty of the Seas sailed from Miami, Florida on November 14, visiting St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto Rico and Labadee, Haiti. The Cruise4Haiti was designed to assist children and families in need in Haiti and the Caribbean and to raise awareness of Haiti’s plight. All funds raised benefited For Haiti With Love and Airline Ambassadors, two non-profit organizations that have been working in Haiti since well before the earthquake.
The Cruise4Haiti group included the founders of three non-profit organizations, a doctor, a lawyer, many humanitarians, families and teens, and a wide variety of travelers committed to giving back to others. In addition to group activities such as making holiday cards for orphans and assembling gift bags, the Cruise4Haiti cruisers enjoyed all of the fun shows and entertainment that Royal Caribbean’s ships offer its guests. They even came up with an event of their own – a benefit concert open to the entire ship.
Cruise4Haiti's many accomplishments included:
* With the help of Royal Caribbean, delivered 6 pallets of aid to Haiti to benefit For Haiti With Love's medical clinic, orphanage and food bank projects in Cap Haitien. Brought donations of food, medicines, school supplies, individual gift bags and 200+ personalized cards, toys, sports equipment, and clothing for 50 orphans and more than 500 needy children and their families. This was the first cruise/airline group to assist For Haiti With Love's orphanage and projects.
* Delivered 33 individual Christmas gift bags, over 100 personalized cards, and over 120 pounds of clothing, toys, stuffed animals, school supplies, medicines, sports equipment and toiletries to the St. Maarten Orphanage & The I Can Foundation. This was the first cruise ship or airline group ever to visit the orphanage. One group member is beginning the adoption process for one of the children. The Cruise4Haiti forged connections for this orphanage that will result in future visits and aid.
* Delivered over 75 pounds of Christmas gifts, infant & toddler clothing, stuffed animals, toys, books, medicines and baby items to La Casa Cuna de San Juan Orphanage. This was the first cruise ship group to visit this orphanage.
* Held benefit concert for the entire ship and raised money for charity.
* Raised over $5500 in cash donations for two charities, Airline Ambassadors and For Haiti With Love.
* Created a high profile special charity event and raised over $25,000 in in-kind donations for Airline Ambassadors and For Haiti With Love.
* Generated well over 3 million impressions through articles, blog posts and social media - thus significantly increasing awareness of opportunities to give back on a cruise (voluncruising), the work of For Haiti With Love and Airline Ambassadors, Royal Caribbean and its ongoing support for Haiti, and the continuing needs of the Haitian people.
Together for Good, a non-profit organization promoting giving back as part of the travel experience, is the leader in organizing voluncruise and giving back experiences at sea. The group has organized programs on most major cruise lines and has brought humanitarian aid to ports throughout the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico. For more information on the Cruise4Haiti, visit www.cruiseforhaiti.com.
Content copyright © 2013 by Nancy Schretter. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Nancy Schretter. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nancy Schretter for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.