Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Store bought chocolate cake mix is a great base to a delicious dessert. You do not need to follow the directions on the box; you can create something much better. This cake calls for cake mix, sour cream, and instant pudding mix. Sour cream and the pudding mix create an extremely moist cake. This cake is frosted with a rich, mocha buttercream frosting. I love the combination of chocolate and coffee. The wonderful thing about creating your own desserts is you can be as homemade as you want to be. If you do not have the time or the desire to make your own frosting you can add a little bit of brewed coffee to store bought chocolate frosting. To both the cake and the frosting you can either use freshly brewed coffee or instant coffee.
Chocolate Cake with Mocha Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
1 devil's food chocolate cake mix
1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup warm coffee
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two 8 inch cake pans.
3. Combine the cake mix and package of pudding in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the sour cream and oil and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each one.
6. Add the coffee and mix until combined.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Mocha Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
1 stick butter, plus 3/4 stick (3/4 cup)
4 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 boiling water
1 tbsp. instant coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1. Combine the boiling water and instant coffee and stir until dissolved, set aside.
2. Beat the butter with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl.
3. Then beat in 1 cup of sugar.
4. Add the coffee, vanilla, and another cup of sugar.
5. Beat until smooth.
6. Beat in the remaining sugar until smooth.
7. Frost the cake once it has cooled.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!