Guest Author - Nancy Brotherton
Ever wanted to attend a big rally on the other side of the country and show your motorcycle off but because of time constraints, you didn't do it? Now you can because there are companies that will transport your motorcycle to your rally and have it waiting for you when you arrive. To help you find the best transport company for your needs, here are some questions to ask before choosing a transport company.
1. How do they transport your motorcycle? Do they crate it? Does it go with other motorcycles? Is it mixed in with furntiture or automobiles?
2. Where do they store your motorcycle once it arrives at its destination?
3. How much notice do you need to pick up? deliver?
4. How long does it take?
5. Do you have to do anything to the motorcycle to prepare for shipping?
6. Is your motorcycle insured during shipment by them and for how much?
6. What is the price? Do you get discounts if you ship more than one?
7. Can they provide some referrals.
The questions above will help you determine which company you will use. For example, if they ship with furniture, be careful, because you wouldn't want a piano to land on your bike. Even if they crate your bike, a piano could cause some serious damage.
Some companies take your motorcycle as is, without emptying the gas tank, while some require you to empty the tank and remove accessories that could get damaged.
When I was checking around for pricing, companies ran the gamut with prices ranging from $350 per motorcycle and above. Remember, don't sacrifice secure shipping for a low price.
Make sure and ask for referrals and check the internet to see if you find any negative feedback about that particular company. You want to make sure that they are reputable.
Also, if you go on rallies throughout the country on a frequent basis, ask if they will give you a discount for using them frequently. All they can say is no.
There are some transport companies that deal only with motorcycles and treat them as their own. Crated or uncrated, the choice is yours to make. I have listed several companies, that ship uncrated, below.
Until next week, ride safe.