Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Chef Siegel's Rhode Island Style Calamari
Located in the heart of wine country and nestled on the shores of Lake Erie, The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake boasts beautiful surroundings where you can relax and enjoy your stay. The Lodge offers year-round services, amenities and packages so you can enjoy Ohio any time of the year. With indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub and children's splash area, no matter the weather you can enjoy a swim.
Executive Chef Russell Siegel comes to The Lodge just in time to see the transformation as the Horizons Restaurant is undergoing a major renovation over the next several weeks. It will re-open in April with a new look and a new name.
“The restaurant is already so scenic with its magnificent view of Lake Erie. I’m expecting that with the restaurant’s new look and new menu items will help make it one of the most popular restaurants in the area,” he said.
Here's Chef Siegel's signature dish.
Rhode Island Style Calamari (Yield : 4-4oz servings or 1 family style platter)
• 1 pound squid rings and tentacles
• 2 cups buttermilk
• ¾ cup cornstarch
• 2 cup all purpose flour
• 3 teaspoons kosher salt
• 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
• 1 cup sliced hot cherry peppers
1. Combine cornstarch, flour, salt, pepper, paprika and granulated garlic.
2. Soak squid in buttermilk for 30 seconds.
3. Strain out squid with wire strainer, and add to flour dredge. Be sure to coat completely by shaking back and forth. Pull out of dredge and shake excess flour off the squid.
4. Deep fry for 30 seconds or until golden brown and crisp. Let drain in basket then move to paper towel lined plate to absorb excess grease.
5. Heat sauté pan over medium heat and add the butter. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown.
6. Add lemon juice, cherry peppers, parsley, calamari and toss to coat evenly.
7. Check seasoning, and put on platter.
8. Garnish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Hazel M. Freeman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Hazel M. Freeman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Hazel M. Freeman for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.