Guest Author - Cheril Vernon
In order to find a name to suggest a broader lineup of its shows, as of January, Court TV is now truTV with its new slogan “Not Reality. Actuality.”
Court TV launched in 1991 and boosted its ratings astronomically during O.J. Simpson’s trial coverage in 1995 and through other big-name trials.
As part of the rebranding effort for the network, daytime trial coverage which previously aired for eight hours each weekday morning, is now cut to six hours, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST.
The network will add to its “real-life series” hoping to target a group of viewers known as “real engagers,” defined as people who want real-life, engaging program told in the first person.
truTV suggests its shows feature real people —not actors — telling true stories and featuring heart-pounding real-life videos.
In primetime to late night, truTV will continue to feature unscripted series that target “real engagers” including Speeders, Most Daring and Most Shocking, as well as forensic shows such as Forensic Files, Body of Evidence and the Investigators.
Some of the shows currently on truTV include:
• Forensic Files — This popular show follows coroners, medical examiners, physicians, emergency technicians, law enforcement personnel, the press and legal experts as they seek solutions to cases that can only be solved by forensic detection.
• Most Daring — This series features the best “caught on tape” action as well as first-hand accounts of ordinary people in extreme danger who lived to tell their stories. In an upcoming episode, a firefighter accidently sparks a massive explosion, a track cyclist triggers a devastating pileup, and an underage driver fleeing from police at 120 mph hits a dead end.
• Most Shocking — This show features “caught on camera” action ranging from pounding pursuits, gut-wrenching dramas and life and death standoffs.
• Murder by the Book — This season, 13 masters of the American crime novel, including best-selling authors Sandra Brown, Harlan Coben, Elizabeth George and Lisa Scottoline, present true crimes that have inspired them to write or chilled them to the bone.
• Ocean Force — Series featuring real lifeguards saving lives. No Baywatch here, only true stories.
• The Real Hustle — An expert team shows you how scam artists steal your money, possessions and your identity. The show features pickpocket and personal security consultant, Apollo Robbins, sleight-of-hand and psychology specialist, Ryan Oakes and professionally-trained actress skilled in distraction techniques, Dani Marco.
• Speeders — Watch as America’s Finest pull over speeders across the country in a show that captures real-life motorists at their worst.
• Suburban Secrets — This series goes behind the scenes of the picket fences to hear the shocking tales of real crimes in small town America.
• Specials — Upcoming specials on truTV include Dumbest Criminals 2, Best of Hot Pursuit: World’s Worst Drivers, World’s Wildest Police Videos and Best of Beach Patrol.
Missing from truTV’s lineup is the Star Jones Show, which was canceled recently.