Macaroni and cheese is most everyone's favorite comfort food -- especially kids.
6 ounces Cheddar cheese
4 ounces mozzarella cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash of hot-pepper sauce
8 cups water
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 lbs)
1. Shred 1-1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese and set aside.
2. Shred 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the mixture is smooth and flour is incorporated.
4. Slowly stir in the half-and-half or cream until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps.
5. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly, about 4 minutes.
6. Remove pan from heat. Add the shredded cheeses, salt, Worcestershire sauce and hot-pepper sauce. Stir until the cheese melts. Set mixture aside.
7. In another large pot, add the 8 cups water, heat on high and bring the water to a full rolling boil. Carefully add the macaroni to the water, stirring once.
8. Boil the macaroni, uncovered, until tender about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
9. Add the drained macaroni to the cheese sauce. Stir well to coat. Serve immediately.
Want another cheesy recipe? Try Ham and Cheese Gratin.
Have a recipe or party menu you'd like to share with our readers? Email the recipe and your name to me at email@example.com