Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Boston cream pie consists of two vanilla or sponge cake layers filled with custard and topped with a chocolate frosting or glaze. These individual Boston cream pies are a cross between a whoopie pie and a mini Boston cream pie. The base of this dessert is a cake like cookie instead of a cake. The filling is a vanilla cream center made with pudding and whipped topping. A chocolate glaze finishes these delicious desserts.
Individual Boston Cream Pies Recipe
Ricotta Cake Cookies Recipe
Makes 16 large cookies (makes 8 individual Boston cream pies)
1/2 cup butter, softened
7 1/2 oz. ricotta cheese (the typical container is 15 oz., just use half)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter with a hand mixer until fluffy.
4. Beat in the ricotta, vanilla, and egg.
5. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
6. Drop cookie dough, 1/4 cup each, onto greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
8. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and cool on a rack.
9. Fill two cookies with the cream filling (recipe below).
10. Frost each with the chocolate glaze (recipe below).
11. Repeat 7 more times until all are assembled.
12. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
1 package of instant vanilla pudding
1 1/4 cups milk
1 (8 oz.) package of Cool Whip or other whipped topping
1. Whisk together the pudding mix and milk until smooth.
2. Fold in the whipped topping.
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
1/3 heavy whipping cream
1. Heat the cream and chocolate chips in a small sauce pan over low heat until melted, stirring constantly.
2. Set aside to cool and allow it thicken for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!