Translations and uses of this Spanish preposition. Click on the "Listen" link next to each Spanish sentence to listen to it. Ah! And don't forget we have a new poll!
Pronunciation: bajo (click to listen)
Origins: ‘bajo’ comes from the Latin term ‘bassus’.
English equivalents: under, underneath, beneath, below
(According to la Real Academia de la Lengua Española)
1. We can use either 'bajo' or 'debajo de', as both terms have the same meaning:
- 'El perro está bajo la mesa' (Listen) = 'El perro está debajo de la mesa. (Listen)
(The dog is under the table.)
- Estoy bajo juramento. (Listen) (I am under oath.)
- Este pintor vivió bajo el reinado de Carlos I. (Listen)
(This painter lived under the reign of Carlos I [Charles the First].)
- Bajo su mirada infantil hay una mente asesina. (Listen)
(Under his childish mind, there is a murderous mind).
- Hace frío... ¡Dos grados bajo cero!. (Listen)
(It is cold... Two degrees below zero!)
- Bajo mi punto de vista, eso no es verdad. (Listen)
(From [Under] my point of view, that is not true.)
- Ese hombre vivía bajo los Mandamientos de la Ley de Dios. (Listen)
(That men lived under the Ten Commandments.)
You can find below some materials / web pages that, from my point of view, can be useful and interesting:
|Puerta del Sol - Audio Magazine||A very interesting way of learning or reviewing not just Spanish grammar and vocabulary, but also a great way to find out about Spain and its culture.|
|Lo más TV||Such a funny, intelligent and useful way to learn and enjoy the Spanish language!! It is a web based activity and offers new videos on a weekly basis. By clicking on any of them you'll be taken to a new page were you can chose between dial-up or broadband. The load is fast, and in few seconds you will be watching and listening to the video.|
|Angeles' Blog: "Spanish Word of the Day"||I'm adding a new Spanish word, everyday, including its sound file, translation, uses and descriptions. You can send your messages with questions, examples to be reviewed, etc.|
|Visual Link Spanish||Visual Link Spanish™ - Just click, listen and repeat! Don't just learn Spanish; put it into practice with a unique guided, step-by-step system. I've tested it and I wish I'd had something similar when I studied English!!|