Green beans stir fried with almonds makes the perfect side dish, especially when entertaining. This recipe is quick and simple and can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator overnight.
The green beans in this recipe can either be fresh or frozen. Frozen organic green beans are great because they can usually be purchased on sale and then stored for when you need them. Plus they are already trimmed which saves time in prepping for the recipe. Also, some specialty stores such as Whole Foods sell fresh organic, pre trimmed and washed green beans, which cuts out the preparation time as well.
12 oz. bag frozen whole green beans or 12oz fresh green beans
1 clove garlic
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
1/3 cup of slivered almonds
1 tbsp peanut oil
½ tsp salt (use more or less to adjust to your tastes)
2 tsp sesame oil
- If fresh green beans are used, start by rinsing them under cold water and draining them thoroughly. Then pat them dry and trim off the ends on each side. If frozen green beans are used, microwave the green beans until they are completely defrosted, but not cooked. The time this takes will vary depending on your type of microwave. Once defrosted, make sure to drain and dry them before stir frying.
- Next peel the garlic and mince it.
- Then peel the ginger and mince it as well.
- Toast the almond slivers by cooking them on high in a non-stick pan without any oil. Toss them consistently until they are slightly brown. You can do this either by moving the pan around slightly so that the almonds seem to “jump,” or you can use a spatula to flip them.
- Once the almonds are toasted, take them off the burner and set them aside on a plate.
- Then heat the same pan, or a wok on high. When it’s hot add the peanut oil and let the oil get hot.
- Then add the ginger and garlic and stir fry for just 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Make sure not to let the garlic burn during this step.
- Next add the green beans and salt and stir fry them until they are crisp – tender, about 2 minutes. You can add the salt a little at a time here and taste to suit your preferences.
- Then remove them from the heat and stir in the toasted almonds and sesame oil and serve. This makes about 3 to 4 servings.