Chinese pepper steak combines thin sliced steak with peppers and onions in a brown savory sauce. This quick and easy recipe uses a frozen mix of red and green peppers and onions, which can be found in most local grocery stores. If you prefer a pepper steak recipe using fresh vegetables click here. Using the frozen vegetables cuts down on prep time and is just as healthy, especially if you use organic frozen vegetables.
This recipe calls for a pound of lean beef. I prefer to use tenderloin, however skirt steak, and even beef round will work in this recipe, just make sure to cut the steak across the grain so that it is tender in the final dish.
1 lb. lean beef
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 bag frozen Birds Eye Pepper Stir Fry vegetables
1 tbsp peanut oil
1/3 cup beef broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sherry
½ tsp sugar
Pinch of ground ginger
1 tsp cornstarch
- Remove any excess fat from the beef and cut it into thin slices, making sure to cut across the grain.
- Place these slices in a bowl and sprinkle them with the garlic salt. Use your hand to mix it in and then let the meat sit at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients, about 20 minutes.
- Place the vegetable in a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on high for about 5 minutes, or until completely defrosted. This time will vary depending on your microwave. Then drain them completely and set them aside.
- In a cup mix all of the ingredients for the sauce and set this mixture aside.
- Next heat a wok on high. When it is hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the beef and stir fry for 2 to3 minutes, or just until the slices are slightly pink in the center. Then add the vegetables and stir fry everything for 1 more minute just to heat the vegetable thoroughly.
- Then add the sauce mixture and stir until it becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve immediately. This is great served on top of white steamed rice. Uncle Ben makes 90 second microwaveable long grain white rice, which makes this recipe even easier, enjoy.