Chinese chicken wings make a wonderful and delicious appetizer for any party! There are many different versions of this tasty treat. Wings can be baked, broiled, or fried and topped with a variation of sauces. The recipe below calls for the wings to be fried which makes the skin crispy and delicious! The base for the sauce is hoisin which is a delectable sweet Chinese barbeque sauce. Hoisin can usually be found in the ethnic section of your local grocery store. In addition to the hoisin, Iíve also added a tablespoon of hot chili garlic sauce which gives these wings an extra kick. If youíre not fond of spicy food, simply leave out this sauce. Try this amazing wing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum, Enjoy!
To see a video of how I make these wings at home click here.
10 Whole chicken wings (about 3 lbs)
4 to 5 cups peanut oil
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp hot chili garlic sauce
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
- Rinse off the wings with cold water and then dry them with paper towels. Cut the wings right at the joint so that you have 2 pieces. Then cut off the wing tips and discard them. This will make 20 wings in total.
- Place these wings in a large bowl, and using your hands, slowly mix in the soy sauce and sherry coating each piece. Place them in the refrigerator and Let them marinate for an hour.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Then set this sauce mixture aside.
- In a small cup mix together the cornstarch with just a little warm water to dissolve and set it aside.
- Once the wings have marinated, heat 4 to 5 cups of peanut oil in a wok on high.
- While the oil is heating, remove the wings from the marinade and lightly pat them dry with paper towels.
- Once the oil is hot (about 375 degrees), add about 10 of the chicken wings to the wok making sure that all of them are submerged in the oil. Remember, we do not want to overcrowd the wok. These will need to be cooked in batches. Let them cook for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove them from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain. Then finish cooking the remaining wings.
- Once all of the wings are cooked, remove the oil from the wok and wipe it out. Return the wok to the heat, add the sauce mixture, and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils add the cornstarch mixture and stir until it is thick like the consistency of barbeque sauce.
- Once the sauce is thick, return the chicken wings to the wok and stir until they are thoroughly coated with the sauce. Place them on a plate and serve. Makes 20 wings.