Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Zuccotto is a delicious and easy Italian dessert to prepare. It is pound cake or sponge cake molded then filled with cream. It may also be flavored with liqueur. There are many variations. This version is filled with both chocolate and strawberry creams.
Strawberry and Chocolate Zuccotto Cake Recipe
Makes 1 cake
1 (10.75 oz.) pound cake
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips or chunks
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon instant pudding
1/4 confectioners’ sugar
1 cup sliced strawberries
4 strawberries halved
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1. Line a 1 1/2 quarts sized bowl with plastic wrap. My bowl was a bit larger than 1 1/2 quarts. I would suggest using any size between 1 1/2 and 3 quarts.
2. Slice the pound cake into 1/2 inch slices.
3. Then cut each slice diagonally.
4. Line the bottom and the sides of the bowl with pound cake slices so that there are no empty spaces then set aside.
5. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
6. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of cream with 1 tablespoon of instant vanilla pudding and the confectioner’s sugar.
7. Whip with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
8. Pour half of the whipped cream into a second bowl.
9. Take 1/2 cup of one of the bowls of whipped cream and fold into the melted chocolate, continue to fold in until the mixture is fully incorporated. At this point you may need to rewhip with the electric mixer.
10. Fold in the strawberries to the other whipped cream mixture.
11. Spread the chocolate cream over the pound cake and make a well.
12. Then add the strawberry cream mixture.
13. Top with the remaining pound cake slices.
14. Cover with additional plastic wrap.
15. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
16. Optional: before serving garnish with chocolate ganache and sliced strawberries. A dusting of powdered sugar is also an option.
17. If making the chocolate ganache heat the chocolate and cream in a small pan until smooth.
18. Remove from heat and set aside.
19. Remove the cake from the refrigerator.
20. Place a plate on the opening of the bowl and turn over.
21. Remove the bowl and plastic wrap.
22. Pour or spoon the ganache over the cake.
23. Top with halved strawberries and refrigerate.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!