Teriyaki beef is one of my favorite dishes. The sweetness of the sauce and the texture of the beef make this a wonderful meal, or even a nutritious afternoon snack. Basic teriyaki sauce can usually be found in the ethnic section of your local grocery store. There are a variety of brands to choose from. For this recipe, I used Kikkoman teriyaki sauce. This is a thin sauce, much like regular soy, but with a hint of sweetness. Try this recipe using this delicious sauce, and then experiment with other brands and see which one you like the best. Let us know what your favorite is in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
1.5 lbs lean beef
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
¼ tsp salt
½ tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
6 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp honey
½ tsp garlic salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp peanut oil
- Remove all of the fat from the beef and cut it into thin strips about 2 ½ inches long and 1 inch thick. Make sure to cut the beef across the grain. This will help make it tender in the final dish. Place the beef strips in a large container with a tight fitting lid to be marinated.
- Using your hands, mix in the marinade in the following order. First mix the soy sauce and then the sherry making sure to mix them both thoroughly. Then sprinkle in the salt and sugar making sure to hit each piece. Cover and marinate at room temp for 1 hour.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and set it aside.
- In another large cup, mix together the teriyaki sauce, honey, garlic salt, and sugar. Stir thoroughly until the honey is mixed into the sauce.
- Once the beef has marinated, heat a large non stick pot or wok on high and add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the beef and stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes. Liquid may form in the bottom of the wok. That is ok for this particular dish, however, for most recipes we do not want this liquid to form while the meat is being cooked. Most of the time it is caused by having too much meat in the wok at one time. To alleviate this in other recipes, simply cook the meat in batches.
- Add the teriyaki mixture and stir fry for one more minute, mixing everything together thoroughly. Then add the cornstarch mixture and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce has thickened and coated the beef.
- Serve with either white or fried rice. Makes 2 generous servings.