GHB (gamma hydroxybutyric acid)
GHB comes in a few forms. The most common are a liquid with no odor or color, white powder, and pill. You usually won’t be able to tell it is in your drink or food because of the no color and no smell. The affects happen pretty quickly but the length of time it lasts varies on the form and method it is injested. Alcohol of course can worsen the effect and can cause more long term health problems. GHB can be produced in someone’s home so there is no telling how strong one person can make it. GHB has recently been made legal in the United States to treat narcolepsy (a sleeping disorder).
The follow is a list of possible side affects of GHB:
GHB can cause these problems:
• problems seeing
• unconsciousness (black out)
• can't remember what happened while drugged
• problems breathing
• slow heart rate
• dream-like feeling
You can help keep yourself safe by doing the following:
• Don't accept drinks from other people.
• Open containers yourself.
• Keep your drink with you at all times, even when you go to the bathroom.
• Don't share drinks.
• Don't drink from punch bowls or other large, common, open containers. They may already have drugs in them.
• Don't drink anything that tastes or smells strange. Sometimes, GHB tastes salty.
• Have a non-drinking friend with you to make sure nothing happens.
• If you think that you have been drugged and raped:
• Go to the police station or hospital right away.
• Get a urine (pee) test as soon as possible. The drugs leave your system quickly. Rohypnol stays in the body for several hours, and can be detected in the urine up to 72 hours after taking it. GHB leaves the body in 12 hours.
• Don't urinate before getting help.
• Don't douche, bathe, or change clothes before getting help. These things may give evidence of the rape.
• You also can call a crisis center or a hotline to talk with a counselor. One national hotline is the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE. Feelings of shame, guilt, fear and shock are normal. It is important to get counseling from a trusted professional
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Jeanette Stingley. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Jeanette Stingley. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.