Vintage type labels have their own appeal. When I think of some of my favorite things in life -- vintage stores, along with estate type sales and collections tops the list. Invariably, many of these vintage items still have their labels preserved and it always amazes me that even with less technical and printing resources then, designers were able to produce such unique, simple designs that spoke volumes of the ingenuity of the time.
Now that there is a proliferation of paper crafts everywhere, even at discount type stores, it is so easy to obtain the supplies to make beautiful unique labels.
Instructions that I've given in other articles relied on complex editing parameters with grid lines and guides in Microsoft Publishing to customize the free labels offered. However, these instructions are very basic. All thats needed is to download the label, insert the provided picture in Microsft Publisher, add text boxes for your soap information and voila! - a new label is born!
Here are some suggested papers on which to print the design:
1.Handmade paper -- Always a favorite among those who hand craft gifts and personal care items. It is important though that the paper be smooth enough to run through a printer.
2. Vellum (translucent-type paper)-- vellum is one of my favorite papers for printing this kind of design, and may I suggest an off white color such as cream, tan, taupe. Off white and the middle shades of vellum have an understated elegance that is outstanding in all manner of labels. Vellum is also excellent for printing labels and wraps for special event gifts such as weddings and graduations. Going for an absolute look of elegance, then use vellum. The finer weights of vellums are more suitable for printing soap wraps that will be manipulated more. The heavier weights of vellum are excellent for hangtags, etc.
3.Rice paper - I love the fragility and translucence of rice paper. Another elegant look. This paper is hard to find in manageable sheets for the printer. Rice paper is wonderful for printing labels that have an Asian theme. However, the uses of rice paper go far and wider than is possible with this article. This is one of those papers that begs to be experimented with.
3. Kraft (butcher's type paper-uncoated) - kraft paper is the chameleon of wrapping papers. Kraft paper is equally at home sporting vintage designs as well as with a touch of gold or copper paint for highlights. When I think of wonderful handmade products, the humble kraft paper is chief among this type of wrapping. Kraft paper is redolent with old-fshioned goodness - gifts wrapped with loving care and rustic simplicity. Kraft paper is available in printer size sheets as well as huge rolls.
Below are instructions to customize the vintage type soap cigarband in Microsoft Publisher. The picture above shows how soap bars would look wrapped with an overwrap and then finihed with the soap cigar band.
Materials and software programs:
Paper - off-white, wheat, tan, kraft, etc
1. Open Microsoft Publisher and create a new file � FILE --NEW---BLANK---PUBLICATIONS----FULLPAGE
2. Check to make sure the view is portrait
3. Download graphic file. The graphic file is saved in TIFF format which is compatible with Windows Publishing software. The image is a soap cigar band. Once it is downloaded, insert the graphic file into the blank publisher document. Label is available in two different designs. The first design, 'toogood' features a circle with flourishes with lettering in the circle which says, "Too good to forget". The second design, 'vintagespecial - special memories'. Both labels are finished with a bit of grunge to give an antique, worn look to the finished label.
Article Update Nov.2009:
Since writing this article I have updated the website to offer other free label templates. Here is the link to browse through the free cigar band templates on Perfumekits. All free files are available for immediate download.
4. First save the picture to a file folder or the desktop or anywhere that it can be retrieved quickly. Then open Microsoft Publisher and create a new blank file. Make sure it is positioned in 'portrait view' - okay the action to close the box.
Insert picture into Microsoft Publisher - Goto select picture from file and insert picture.
INSERT PICTURE---FROM FILE (To insert downloaded picture toogood.tif or vintagespecial.tif)
Then insert a text box to add the name of the soap and other information.
INSERT---TEXTBOX (To insert text box)
Once picture is inserted in file, you may resize it and reposition it. If you are not certain where the picture should go, then insert it anyway and print out a test page to see the layout of the cigar band elements and how those elements may be altered to suit your needs.
Usually 2-3 or even 4 cigar bands can be positioned on a sheet of paper.
5. Once picture is inserted and positioned correctly, Type into text box the name of soap and the weight. Also, insert a text box to the left of the design to insert an ingredients text field. Edit font size.
6. View print view to make sure all the graphics and text are lined up properly.
9. Save file and print out a test copy. Edit if needed.
Papers Online - have a huge assortment of different types of paper including vellum, handmade paper, cardstock and paper embellishments
The Papermillhas one of largest inventories of cardstock and have great deals on bulk orders.