Rice is one of the staple foods in Chinese cuisine. There are many different types of rice available today. The most common rice used in Chinese cooking is white long grain rice. This type of rice is served either steamed or fried with almost every meal. Short grain rice is also used in Chinese cooking; however it is mainly for desserts.
When making fried rice, it is best to use cold, left over rice as in the recipe below. If you do not have left over rice, simply cook your rice about an hour and a half prior to making the fried rice, lay it out flat on a baking sheet, and place it in the freezer. Make sure however that it does not freeze. Try this delicious chicken fried rice recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium white onion
1 cup frozen peas
5 tbsp peanut oil
3 cups cooked cold white long grain rice
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then dice each breast into small square pieces and set them aside.
- Peel the onion and then cut it into ¼ inch squares and set them aside.
- Peel the carrots and then cut them into small ¼ inch squares. Place them in a bowl and cover them with hot water. Then microwave them on high for 2 minutes. This is comparable to par boiling them. Remove them from the microwave and drain them thoroughly in a colander and set them aside.
- Place the frozen peas in a bowl and cover them with hot water. Microwave them on high for 2 minutes. Then drain them thoroughly and set them aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, scramble them and set them aside.
- Heat a non stick pot or wok on high. Add just 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot. Once it is hot add the onion and stir fry it for 1 minute, or just until it is soft.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for about 8 minutes, or until brown. Let the pieces of chicken sit on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes. This will help it brown more quickly. If liquid forms in the bottom of the wok, then you have too much chicken in the wok at once. Cook it in batches if this occurs.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it and the onion from the wok and set them aside.
- Without wiping out the wok, add the eggs and scramble them.
- Once the eggs are almost cooked through add the rice and the remaining 4 tablespoons of peanut oil. Stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until the rice is hot.
- Add the carrots, peas, chicken, onions, and soy sauce. Continue to stir fry until everything is mixed together thoroughly, about 2 more minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and add the sesame oil. Stir it in thoroughly and then serve. Makes 4 servings.