This wonderful time of the year brings with it lots of cocktail and covered dish parties. This in turn means lots of baking and cooking for both the hosts and sometimes the guests as well. These cocktail sandwiches make the perfect finger food for the next soiree or covered dish party. They are super easy to make, can be made ahead of time, and bring a delicious ethnic twist to any array of appetizers.
If you want to make these sandwiches ahead of time, simply mix the ingredients together for the filling and the spread of the sandwiches. Cover them with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. The baguette can also be pre-cut into sandwich slices. Then, no more than an hour before serving, assemble the sandwiches as directed in the instructions below. Enjoy, and have a wonderful holiday season!
5oz can of chicken
1 green scallion
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp hot mustard
¼ tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp salt
1 small baguette
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp sesame oil
- Open the can of chicken and drain it thoroughly. Then pour the chicken into a large mixing bowl. Using a fork and knife, shred it into the tiniest pieces possible. You may also do this in a food processor if you choose.
- Rinse the scallion under cold water and shake dry. Cut off the white end and about an inch off of the top as well and discard. Dice the remaining stalks and add them to the chicken.
- Next add the mayonnaise, hot mustard, ground ginger, and salt to the chicken and mix together thoroughly. Hellman’s mayonnaise is delicious and works the best in this recipe. Once the mixture is stirred thoroughly, set it aside. If you are making this ahead of time, simply cover this mixture with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the sandwiches. Do not assemble the sandwiches until you are ready to serve them, otherwise they will become a bit soggy.
- Prepare the spread by thoroughly mixing together the mayonnaise and sesame oil in a small cup or bowl.
- Next, cut the baguette into about 14 thin slices. Spread each slice with just a thin layer of the spread.
- Then place about a tablespoon of the chicken mixture on 7 of the slices and top each one with the remaining slices of bread. Secure each mini sandwich with a toothpick and serve. The red and green holiday toothpicks look great in these sandwiches!
- Makes 7 mini cocktail sandwiches.