Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Hula Pie is a popular dessert in Hawaii. Although most of us would love to enjoy this pie while visiting the beautiful islands of Hawaii, many of us will just have to settle for enjoying their famous pie. This is one of those desserts that I love. You can make it completely from scratch or everything can be store bought. I made this pie by doing a little of both. The base of this pie is a chocolate crumb crust. You can either buy a prepared crust or you can make your own. I decided to make my own. The pie is filled with a heaping mound of chocolate macadamia ice cream. I was unable to find this type of ice cream. I added nuts to store bought chocolate ice cream. However, if you have an ice cream maker feel free to make your own. The chocolate ice cream is then covered with hot fudge. I bought a jar of hot fudge but you can easily make your own. Lastly, each slice of pie is finished with a generous mound of whipped cream.
Hula Pie Recipe
30 Oreos (I used Oreos but you can use your favorite chocolate cookie)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream
1 cup hot fudge
6.5 oz. container of macadamia nuts
1 can whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Crush the cookies. I used my blender for this.
3. In a small bowl combine the crushed cookies and melted butter and mix together.
4. Press into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
6. Allow the crust to cool.
7. Add the ice cream to a large bowl and allow it to get soft.
8. Crush the macadamia nuts. You can use a food processor or a blender.
9. Add all but 1/3 cup of nuts to the ice cream and stir until evenly incorporated. The ice cream needs to be very soft for this.
10. Spoon the ice cream into the prepared crust.
11. Heat the fudge enough until a spreadable consistency.
12. Pour the hot fudge over the ice cream; you may need a spoon to spread it.
13. Freeze for several hours or until ready to serve.
14. Garnish each slice of pie with whipped cream right before serving and the remaining 1/3 cup crushed macadamia nuts.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!