Guest Author - Michelle Matile
The base of this treat is a rich, chocolate cupcake. The center is a marshmallow and vanilla cream filling topped with chocolate ganache. These Hostess Cupcake knock offs will bring back fond memories of childhood. I hadnít had one in years and these did not disappoint.
Hostess Cupcake Recipe
Makes 24 cupcakes
2 cups white sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4. Make a well in the center.
5. Add the milk, vanilla, eggs and oil.
6. Beat until combined and smooth.
7. Beat in the boiling water last.
8. Fill each cupcake 2/3 full.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Allow them to cool before frosting.
Marshmallow Cream Filling
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups marshmallow Fluff
4 tbsps. heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp. vanilla
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until combined.
2. Beat in the Fluff, whipping cream, and the vanilla.
3. Fill a plastic food bag with the marshmallow cream mixture.
4. Cut a 1 inch hole in the top of each cupcake, removing part of the cupcake.
5. Snip the tip of the bag and fill the center of each cupcake.
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heaving whipping cream
1. In a small saucepan melt the chocolate chips and cream over low heat.
2. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
3. Spoon the ganache on the cupcakes, spreading until it covers the top.
4. I drizzled a little bit of white chocolate, but that is optional.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!