Guest Author - Michelle Matile
A typical jam consists of fruit and sugar. These jams are infused with chocolate. The two recipes below are for raspberry chocolate jam and banana chocolate jam. There are so many ways to enjoy chocolate jam. Replace butter with it when enjoying your morning toast. Fill your favorite layer cake with chocolate jam. Turn chocolate jam into a truffle filling.
The first step to making jam is sterilizing the jars. Place the jars in a large pot and cover with water. Do not include the lids during this step. Allow it to boil for 15 minutes. Shut the heat off after the boiling process and allow the jars to sit there until you are ready to use. Add the lids at this time. Do not allow the jars to sit in the water for longer than one hour.
Chocolate and Banana Jam Recipe
Fills one 8 oz. jar
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup good quality milk chocolate, chopped
1. Mash the 3 bananas with a fork.
2. Add the mashed bananas, sugar, and water to a medium sized sauce pan.
3. Heat over low to medium heat and allow it to boil for 1-2 minutes while stirring constantly.
4. Lower the heat and add the chocolate, stir periodically until chocolate is melted.
5. Fill the jar with the jam.
6. Store in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 months.
Chocolate and Raspberry Jam Recipe
Fills one 4 oz. jar
3 cups raspberries
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
1. Add the berries, water, and sugar to a sauce pan and allow it to boil for 1-2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and strain with a sieve to remove most of the seeds. I removed many of them, but did not attempt to remove them all. You lose a lot of fruit during this process.
3. Return to the sauce pan.
4. Add the chocolate and heat over low to medium heat.
5. Continue stirring until the chocolate has melted.
6. Add to jar and refrigerate. It will last for up to 3 months.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!