2. add cold water to a large bowl and fill with ice. place in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. place the remaining two apples on a plate. set aside.
4. make the toffee. in a small saucepan over low heat cook the water, sugar and butter, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
5. Turn heat to high and boil until the mixture becomes a deep chestnut brown, about 25 minutes or when the temperature on a candy thermometer reaches 320F. Remove from heat.
6. remove the bowl of ice water from the refrigerator. working quickly, dip the apples into the toffee one at a time. rotate a few times to get an even counting and drop into the bowl of ice water for 30 seconds. do not dry the brain bites. stick the bites directly into the whole apples.
Click HERE for more Spooktacular Halloween Food and Fun