Guest Author - Michelle Matile
I always think summer and Pina Coladas when I think coconut. This biscotti recipe is definitely for coconut lovers! Serve it for a lighter dessert at your next cookout or party with a signature drink of frozen Pina Coladas.
The coconut flakes are first toasted to bring out the flavor in these cookies. This recipe does contain alcohol. Malibu Rum is a coconut flavored rum. However, you do not have to make this with alcohol. Coconut extract can be used in place of the coconut rum. If using the extract, use 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon depending on your desired strength of flavor. Then add about a 1/4 cup of water.
If you have never tried making biscotti, I still think they are the easiest cookie to make. One batch makes about 30 cookies. And you can make them ahead of time and freeze them in a freezer storage bag for up to 2 months. They only need a few minutes to thaw from the freezer.
Coconut and Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti Recipe
Makes about 30
1 stick of butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Malibu Rum
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs plus an additional egg for an egg wash
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup coconut flakes
1. To toast the coconut flakes, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Spread the coconut on a greased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Take out and set aside to cool slightly.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
8. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
9. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
10. Beat in the rum.
11. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
12. Stir in the coconut flakes.
13. Stir in the dark chocolate chips.
14. Form the dough into two logs.
15. Brush the logs with egg wash.
16. Place logs on a greased cookie sheet.
17. Bake for 25 minutes.
18. Cool for 10 minutes.
19. Slice into cookies.
20. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!