Its Super Bowl time and that means chips, dips, and fun snack foods! This is the perfect appetizer to accompany any Super Bowl party hors d‘oeuvres. These mini egg rolls are stuffed with a simple filling of ground pork. The flavors of the pork, scallions and soy make this a unique and delicious recipe. Try these out for your Super Bowl party and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
1 lb ground pork
1¼ cup diced scallions
7 tbsp soy
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cornstarch
10 egg roll wrappers
3 ½ tbsp peanut oil
- Heat just 1 ½ tablespoons of the peanut oil on high in a large non-stick pot or wok. Add the ground pork, just a ¼ cup of the diced scallions and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce. Using either chopsticks or a fork, break the pork up into tiny pieces as it cooks. Cook for about 10 minutes or until brown.
- Stir in the remaining 6 tablespoons of soy, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce and ground ginger. Bring this to a boil.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with a little water just so it dissolves. Add this mixture to the pot and stir until the pork is coated with sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the heat and let it cool.
- Once the pork is cool, add the remainder of the scallions and mix thoroughly.
- Begin making the egg rolls by laying a wrapper on a plate with the long end in front of you. Place a skinny line of meat close to the long end. Fold the short ends of the wrapper up just about ¼ of an inch. Then slowly roll up the wrapper. The line of meat should be thin enough that the wrapper rolls around it almost 2 times.
- Once all the wrappers are filled, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut oil on high in a non-stick pan. Place about 3 rolls in the pan, or as many as can comfortably fit without touching.
- Cook for about 2 minutes and then using either chopsticks or a fork, roll each roll onto its uncooked side. Cook all sides for about 2 minutes or until brown. Place each finished roll onto a plate with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Let the rolls cool for about 10 minutes and then cut each one in half and place them on a serving plate. Makes 20 mini egg roll appetizers.