Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Chocolate Three Milks Cake Recipe
Tres Leches is a cake of Spanish origination. The Spanish translation of tres leches is three milks. Pastel de Tres Leches is typically a sponge cake soaked in a combination of three milks. The three milks consist of heavy cream, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk. This is a dense and rich dessert. I soaked the cake in three milks mixed with chocolate. The light sponge cake allows for the milks to soak in without becoming soggy. Most recipes call for full cans of evaporated and sweetened condensed milks and a full cup of heavy cream. I felt that one half of this was more than enough for the cake while still being rich and sinful. This cake is finished with chocolate whipped cream.
Chocolate Three Milks Cake (Pastel de Tres Leches) Recipe
6 eggs, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 of 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 of 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsps. confectioner’s sugar
3 tbsps. baking cocoa
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
3. Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form.
4. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
5. Slowly beat in flour and baking powder.
6. Beat in regular milk and vanilla.
7. Pour batter in greased pan.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. Combine the three milks (evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 1/2 cup of heavy cream) and 4 oz. chocolate chips in a small sauce pan over low heat until the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
10. While still warm, poke holes in cake and pour the milk mixture over the cake.
11. Refrigerate the cake for a few hours.
12. To make the chocolate whipped cream, beat the 1 1/2 cups of cream with the confectioner’s sugar and cocoa. Beat the cream until soft peaks form.
13. Either frost the cake with the whipped cream or serve each piece with a dollop of whipped cream.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Michelle Matile. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Michelle Matile. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Michelle Matile for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.