Assemble Zippered Pocket
For this step, you will need Piece B, Piece C, zipper, hook side (the poky side) piece of the hook and loop tape, 9" of pressed ribbon and 9" of fusible tape (both cut in half).
- Stick a piece of fusible tape to inside crease of the folded ribbon (the Steam-A-Seam 2 is easy to use because it is slightly sticky so it stays in place before being fused on) and wrap ribbon evenly around upper edge of Piece C. Press with hot iron to fuse ribbon down on both sides.
- Edgestitch ribbon, being sure to catch both sides of the ribbon.
- Align cut (raw) edge of hook side of hook and loop tape with the bottom of Piece C and stitch in place close to bottom edge. Change upper thread to match hook and loop tape, if necessary.
- Attach zipper to the bound top edge of Piece C as follows: Open zipper completely, with open end on the left side. Stick a piece of fusible tape along the bottom zipper section (trim along one long edge of the fusible tape slightly if necessary) and place Piece C on top of zipper tape so that the zipper teeth are 1/16- 1/8" away from bound edge. The metal stopper end should lay off the fabric edge. Make sure the zipper is laid straight along the length and then press carefully to fuse in place, keeping iron away from zipper teeth. Edgestitch along top edge of ribbon to permanently attach zipper. I did not need to use a zipper foot, but feel free to switch to a zipper foot if needed. Close up zipper completely for the next step.
- Place Piece B right side up on work surface and place finished Piece C on top, right side up, and align top and side edges. If the bottom edge doesn't exactly match, that is okay because the ribbon will wrap over far enough to cover a slight misalignment. Apply fusible to ribbon as in Step 1 and wrap evenly around top edge of the zipper and Piece B and press to fuse. If the ribbon edge is too close to the zipper when it is folded over the edge, move Piece C down slightly and then trim bottom as necessary. Edgestitch along ribbon edge to finish, moving zipper pull out of the way, as necessary.
- Carefully trim excess zipper and ribbon away from both sides, making sure that the zipper pull is in between edges (see photo below).
Zippered pouch section is now complete, set aside until later.
Click to see how to finish the Zippy Keychain Wallet