Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Malted milk shakes bring back sweet memories for those who enjoyed them years ago. These shakes were a popular treat served in ice cream shops in the 1950's. You can easily recreate these shakes at home. This is a fun, summer drink to make your guests. I have taken a traditional chocolate, malted milkshake and added vodka to turn it into an adult beverage. One cup of vodka may seem a lot; however, this recipe does make 4 servings. The vodka can easily be omitted and they are just as delicious. Eliminating the vodka turns these into a kid friendly dessert. Because they are so easy to make, it is the perfect dessert to make together as a family. In addition, there is a recipe for malted milk balls to use as garnish. The malted milk ball candies are easy to make and surprisingly taste close to the real thing.
Alcoholic Chocolate Malted Milkshake Recipe
Makes 4 servings
2 cups chocolate ice cream
2 cups milk
1 cup vodka
1/4 cup malted milk powder
3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1. Pour milk, vodka, ice cream, and malted milk powder in blender.
2. Blend until combined and smooth. Feel free to add ice for additional thickness.
3. Pour into 4 glasses,
4. Top with whipped cream.
Serve with a straw and malted milk balls. Either purchased malted milk balls or make them by following the recipe below.
Malted Milk Ball Recipe
1 cup malted milk powder
1 cup of white chocolate
Chocolate candy melts for dipping
Optional: candy mold
1. Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler.
2. Stir in malted milk powder until combined.
3. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes and allow it to harden a bit.
4. You can form into balls and dip in chocolate candy melts that have been melted over a double boiler.
If you do have candy molds, I would suggest using them because the malted milk center does not harden enough and the balls do not keep its shape.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!