Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Fudge is an easy holiday treat to prepare. This confection makes a great gift to give everyone on your list. Or you may want to keep the sweet indulgence for yourself. This traditional Marshmallow Fluff fudge has a pleasant surprise; it is infused with orange zest. The zest adds a flavor that is both refreshing and sweet. Besides adding the orange zest, this recipe has significantly less sugar than the typical fudge. You will not even notice the reduction in sugar.
Orange Zest Fudge Recipe
1 cup sugar
1/2 stick of butter
1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 (7 oz.) jar Marshmallow Fluff
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 orange for orange zest
1. Lightly grease an 8 or 9 inch baking dish.
2. Zest the orange with a grater. Remember to only remove the orange part of the skin; you do not want include the white part. You will need 1 tablespoon of zest for this fudge.
3. In a large sauce pan combine the sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and marshmallow.
4. Heat on low until all the ingredients have melted together.
5. Turn the heat to medium until the marshmallow starts to bubble and boil.
6. Lower the heat. The mixture should still be bubbling but you do want to burn it.
7. Continue stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 tablespoon of orange zest, chocolate chips and the vanilla.
9. Stir until the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
10. Pour the fudge into the pan.
11. Optional; grate the rest of the orange and garnish the top of the fudge.
12. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until firm. Cut into small squares.
Fudge can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for several months. Wrap the fudge in both wax paper and aluminum foil. Then store in an airtight container. Fudge can also be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!