lic and special libraries need to be clear about the expectations for library field trips. Here are some sample guidelines to assist you in developing your own policy.
Schedule A Visit
Schedule your visit at least 4 weeks in advance.
Be prepared when you call to tell the librarian:
- Name of School
- Contact Person & Telephone Number
- Desired Date & Time of Visit (Will be scheduled to fit staffing availability)
- Type of Field Trip
- Number of Students (Due to space restrictions groups are limited to 20 students per group)
- Number of Chaperones (1 adult per 8 students recommended)
- Schedule your visit early as staff and space are limited.
- Call the day before to the field trip to confirm.
Parents/guardians must be present to obtain a library card for the student during the field trip. Library card applications are available online to copy and distribute to families.
Those who do not live in Athens or Limestone County may receive a library card if they work or go to school within Limestone County.
Types of Field Trips
- Stories and Fun
30 minutes. Pre-school through grade 2.
A librarian will present a 30-minute interactive story time. Students also will have time to explore the children's area.
- Tour the Library
45 minutes. Grade 3 and up.
Your group will be greeted by the librarian, enjoy a story, be given a tour of the library and learn about basic book-browsing skills. Students will have time to explore books.
- Technology Time
One hour. Grade 5 and up.
The Library is the place to connect with computers. Choose from one of these programs: "How to use the Alabama Virtual Library" or "Internet Mystery."