Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Biscotti are a great addition to a Thanksgiving feast. After a heavy meal this is the perfect light treat. When it comes to a big holiday meal most of us eat until we are stuffed. We do not always have room for a rich dessert. Cranberry and chocolate chip biscotti cookies are a great option. They are a delicious way to end a meal. Serve them with coffee or an after dinner drink. This is also a great cookie to add to your Christmas cookie tray.
Cranberry and Chocolate Chip Biscotti Recipe
Makes about 30
1/2 cup canola oil
3 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cranberry
An additional egg to brush on dough and some sugar (1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar is sufficient) to sprinkle on.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a cookie sheet.
3. Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine oil, sugar, and eggs.
5. Beat with an electric mixture until combined.
6. Beat in vanilla.
7. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until fully combined.
8. Stir in chocolate chips and cranberry.
9. Form two logs onto the greased cookie sheet. A tip is to wet hands before forming dough. This prevents the dough from sticking to your hands. Dough will be very sticky.
10. Beat the additional egg. Brush the dough with this egg, using a pastry brush. The egg will keep the baked biscotti shiny and prevent it from looking dull.
11. Sprinkle the dough with the additional sugar.
11. Bake for 30 minutes.
12. Take out and cool for 5 minutes.
13. Slice into cookies.
14. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
If you have a hectic holiday schedule, make these ahead of time. Then freeze in a plastic freezer bag. Take them out a few hours before serving. No one will know they were in the freezer.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!