Guest Author - Michelle Matile
It always surprises me how delicious the flavor combination of chocolate and orange is. These double chocolate biscotti contain the refreshing hint of orange. Infused in the cookies are fresh orange juice and orange zest. Enjoy biscotti cookies with your morning coffee or as an afternoon treat. I typically freeze my biscotti after baking and grab as needed.
Orange Zest Chocolate Biscotti Recipe
Makes 20-24 cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 orange (for 2 tablespoons of orange zest and 2 tablespoons of orange juice)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 additional egg for an egg wash to brush on biscotti
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Zest the orange. This process consists of taking a grater or peeler against the skin of the orange. Only the orange part of the skin should be grated, not the white skin. Depending on the size of the orange this should yield 2-3 tablespoons of orange zest. Set aside the zest.
3. Squeeze the orange to pull 2 tablespoons of juice and set aside.
4. In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugar and the orange juice.
6. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
7. At low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture.
8. Fold in the chocolate chips and the orange zest.
9. Divide the dough in half and form 2 logs.
10. Transfer the logs to a large baking sheet and brush with the egg wash.
11. Bake for 35 minutes, and then let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
12. Cut each log crosswise into 1 inch slices. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet, cut sides down.
13. Bake for an additional 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!