Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Irish Cream Biscotti is a perfect marriage of Italian and Irish treats. What is better with your morning coffee than biscotti and Irish Cream? Irish cream adds excitement to everyday biscotti. I created this recipe to celebrate both the upcoming celebrations of St. Patrick's Day and St. Joseph's Day. St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th. St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. St. Joseph's Day celebrates the life of St. Joseph, the husband of the Virgin Mary, on March 19th. The good news is you do not have to be Irish or Italian to enjoy the delectable sweets that each holiday has to offer.
Irish Cream Biscotti Recipe
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Irish Cream
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
4. Add the wet ingredients.
5. Beat with a mixer until combined.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Knead the dough on a floured surface. It helps to wet your hands to avoid the dough sticking.
8. Form the dough into two logs and bake on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
10. Take out and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
11. Slice into cookies.
12. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
13. Glaze the cookies with the recipe below.
Irish Cream Glaze
3/4 cup of confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon of Irish Cream
1 tablespoon of water
1. Combine all ingredients and stir until combined and smooth.
2. Spread on cookies. The glaze will harden after an hour or so.
You may need to play with the consistency. If the glaze is to thick add water 1/4 tsp. at a time until it reaches desired consistency. To thicken the glaze add confectioner's sugar. It is a quick, easy glaze that can be used on cakes or other pastries as well as these biscotti. Store the biscotti in an airtight container. They can typically last for up to 2 weeks.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!