Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Soft pretzels are a delicious sweet treat. Pretzels are a typical snack at a sporting event or the mall. They are surprisingly easy to make at home and are much cheaper. When you add chocolate to these pretzels they are the perfect sweet and salty snack. They are best served warm, right from the oven. However, they are just as good leftover.
Sweet Soft Pretzel Recipe
Makes 12 Pretzels
2 envelopes of yeast (this equals about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water that is heated to 110 degrees
4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. oil
2 cups hot water
2 tbsp. baking soda
Melted butter, cinnamon, cocoa, and sugar are needed to dip your finished pretzel in.
Melted chocolate is also a delicious addition for the finished pretzels.
1. Combine the 2 packets of yeast, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1 1/4 cups warm water together in a small bowl.
2. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, it should get foamy.
3. Combine the flour, remaining sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the oil and yeast mixture to the flour.
5. Knead for several mixtures until the dough forms a ball.
6. Coat a large bowl with oil.
7. Place the dough in the bowl.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough sit and rise for 2 hours.
9. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
10. Separate the dough into 12 balls. (I find it easier to divide the dough in 4 sections. Then divide each section in three.)
11. Twist each into a pretzel shape.
12. Combine the baking soda and 2 cups of hot water. (The baking soda and water mixture gives the pretzel its brown golden color and crisp exterior.)
13. Dip each pretzel into this mixture.
14. Sprinkle salt onto the dough.
15. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
16. Combine cinnamon, sugar, and cocoa.
17. Brush each pretzel with melted butter.
18. Coat with the cinnamon and cocoa mixture.
19. Optional: Drizzle melted chocolate on the pretzels or dip pretzels in the melted chocolate.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!