This amazing bean dish makes a great side dish to accompany any meal. It’s light, refreshing, and perfect for a summer dinner side, or even a lunch time snack. Try this delicious bean salad and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
1 can yellow wax beans
8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
½ can chick peas
¼ cup canned pineapple tidbits
½ cup fresh bean sprouts
6 oz fresh pea pods
4 green onions
3 celery stalks
1 small green pepper
5 oz matchstick carrots
chow mein noodles
¼ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup vinegar
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp pepper
- In a medium pot slowly pour in all of the ingredients for the sauce. Heat this sauce mixture on high stirring constantly until it boils. Then remove the pot from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- While the sauce mixture cools, prepare the other ingredients. Begin by opening and draining the canned wax beans, water chestnuts, chick peas, and pineapple tidbits, and set them aside.
- Next rinse the bean sprouts under cold running water, trim off any roots, and set them aside on paper towels to dry.
- Rinse the pea pods under cold water, trim off any stems, and set them aside on paper towels to dry.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with a paper towel. Cut off and discard the bases and about an inch from the top of the stalk of each green onion. Cut the remaining stalks into ¼ inch pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Rinse and dry the celery stalks and cut them into ¼ inch pieces and set them aside.
- Cut out the stem of the green pepper and then cut it in half and remove all of the seeds and white meat. Rinse and dry both halves and then cut them into ¼ inch cubes and set them aside.
- In a large container with a tight fitting lid, mix together the yellow wax beans, water chestnuts, chick peas, pineapple tidbits, bean sprouts, pea pods, green onion, celery, green pepper and carrots. Mix everything together thoroughly.
- Once the sauce has cooled, pour it over the vegetables and mix it in thoroughly. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with the chow mein noodles before serving. Makes 4 side servings.