Guest Author - Michelle Matile
I was in search of a lighter cookie recipe and love peanut butter. The original version of this peanut butter cookie has about 128 calories per cookie. I made two different batches of cookies. The recipe below replaces the white sugar with Splenda and replaces part of the flour with ground flaxseed. Ground flaxseed is rich in omega-3 and fiber. In addition, this recipe uses canola oil vs. butter. Canola oil is also high in omega-3, making it heart healthy. This healthier version of peanut butter cookies has 89 calories each.
I made a second batch of cookies and took it one step further. I recently came across low calorie peanut butter powder and I love it. It is called PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter and made by Bell Plantation. It can be purchased in health food stores or online. I love peanut butter but do not love the high fat and calorie content. Two tablespoons of powdered peanut butter have 45 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. I love adding it to protein shakes and smoothies. When replacing regular peanut butter with the powdered version each cookie had 73 calories. There are so many healthy substitutions when baking.
Lighter Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Makes 36 cookies
3/4 cup Splenda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a small bowl combine the flour, ground flaxseed, baking soda, and baking powder.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the sugar, oil, and eggs. Beat with a hand mixer until combined.
3. Beat in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
4. Add the flour mixture, stirring a little bit at a time until fully combined.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Grease a cookie sheet.
8. Drop cookie dough measuring about a tablespoon on the cookie sheet, typically about 12 cookies per cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!