Guest Author - Donna Ledbetter
Here are a few great deals and upcoming events going on in the MidAtlantic:
Now there’s even more reason to visit Delaware this month. The state is offering deep discounts on travel, attractions, and lodging now through June. Just visit the state website at www.visitdelaware.com and look for the words, “Push Button to Escape.” It’s accompanied by a picture of a woman who appears to be stuck in traffic—a phenomenon all too common these days. Take a break from it all. Here’s just a select sampling of the 50 or so great offers you’ll find.
• 40 percent off for one companion traveling with a paid regular adult on Amtrak's Northeast Regional Trains
• 20 percent off standard room rate for a 2 night weekday stay at Inn at Canal Square in Lewes
• Standard rate for 1st night; second night 1/2 off at AmericInn Lodge & Suites in Harrington and Milford
• At Dover Down Hotel and Casino, pay just $119 per night (Sunday - Thursday) and get complimentary valet service; 20 percent off all spa treatments at Toppers Spa/Salon; $25 in free slot play (First time Capital Club Members); Complimentary breakfast in the Festival Buffet; and, FREE admission to Fire and Ice Night Club
• $10 off any guided kayak eco-tour with Coastal Kayak & Sailing in Fenwick Island
• At Monster Racing & Excitement in Dover, buy a 4 lap ride and get one FREE; $50 discount on any 10 lap driving package; $75 discount on any 20 lap driving package; or, $100 discount on any 30 lap driving package.
It’s Preakness time in Maryland, and Charm City Baltimore is preparing for another great race at Pimlico. For more on how to avoid the crowds as you travel to the second race of the historic Triple Crown, see Traveling to the Maryland Preakness. Highlights leading up to the event include:
May 12: Pee Wee Preakness (for kids)
May 13: Preakness Frog Hop
May 14: Preakness Crab Derby at Lexington Market
May 15: Preakness Parade and the Preakness Parade of Lights
May 16: Preakness Race with concert featuring ZZTop, Buck Cherry, and the Charm City Devils.
New York is more than Manhattan. It’s a beautiful state with rich mountains, wildlife, unique culture, a history that’s more than 4 centuries old. 2009 marks New York’s 400th anniversary. Here is just a sampling of great travel ideas celebrating this landmark event and others outside the Big Apple.
May 9 to May 11: The 61st Annual Tulip Festival in Albany, NY
June 19 to June 20: Owego Strawberry Festival in Owego, NY