Guest Author - danielle barone
There are many good things in life for us to appreciate and enjoy. At the same time, we know from experience realistically every day will not be perfect. There will always be times in our life when we will feel not well as a result of something that is going on in our life.
Circumstances in life, a toxic person or situation, personal or family illness, or a random occurrence are all very real reasons that cause us to feel down. These thoughts came to me recently, after a series of recent stressful events in my own life, that seemed to appear out of the blue.
There are many ways to deal with stress. I would like to share a few things that I have found helpful. If you are going through a bad time in your life, I hope that these suggestions will help you to feel better soon.
1. Remember that this too will pass. When we are stressed out we forget that this problem we are dealing with, is one of many things we will get through in our life. And if you take the time to look back, you will remember that there were many problems you faced and conquered. Whatever is going on in your life at this moment "this too will pass." Say it often in your mind so that you absorb its true meaning. It is a true statement that will help you to feel better.
2. Remember the basics of taking care of yourself. During times of stress, it is so important to eat, sleep, exercise, talk with a friend, etc. Anything that keeps both your mind and body healthy should be your focus.
3. Look at old photographs. This is helpful in many ways. First of all, as you are siting quietly looking through the pictures they will remind you of all the people you have known and loved, and laughed with in your life. More importantly this will help you remember the times of your life. Some of which were good, and some which were not so good but that you got through anyway just fine. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of what we once were and who we were once with in order to see how far we have come.
4. Treat yourself to something healthy that helps you to feel good. Each one of us has our own personal list of things that help us to feel better during difficult times. Now is a good time to remember your own list, or take time to make one. For example my list would be: putting flowers in a vase, spending time with my niece and nephew, going for a walk on the beach, listening to some nice music, watching a favorite movie.
5. Keep a journal. The process of writing things down helps to relieve mental stress. Find a notebook you feel comfortable with, and sit down as often as you can in quiet and listen to your own thoughts and write down whatever comes to mind. Make lists, write solutions, poems, whatever you desire. Over time you will be surprised to find that writing can be very good therapy.
6. Take a nap everyday if you can, or as often as you can. A nap will help to keep your mind and body healthy, especially in times of stress. For most of us, this seems to be a difficult habit to begin. But the road to good health, and positivity begins with resting for a short period of time each day.
7. Talk with a good friend. It is a simple basic way to feel better. Friends are a treasure in this life. Friends listen and they care about us. They help us to put back together all of our pieces when the puzzle of our life is taken apart.
8. Look for the good, the positive in this situation. There always is something, no matter how small, something good can come of bad times. Maybe its that the situation finally forced you to do something you always were afraid to try, or maybe its an unexpected blessing that will come from the circumstance. If you look hard enough, you will find the good.
9. Be grateful for what you have. Realize there are many people in the world who have less, and sometimes nothing. Take the time to count your blessings each night before you sleep, not only will it help you see things more clearly but you will feel better.