The biggest problem when using hair color is keeping it fresh and vibrant. If you notice that your new color is beautiful when it is first applied, but soon seems faded and unnatural, it isnít your imagination. It has been proven that even hair tinted with the finest hair color product will start to fade with the very first shampoo and continue to fade with every shampoo thereafter. Some of the culprits are overly alkaline shampoos, ultraviolet light, chlorine and chemical residue in the environment. All of these are dangerous to your hair color and will cause it to fade.
- Shampoo your hair less often and use alternate methods on days in between shampoos.
- Dampen your hair to revive a style.
- Pull your hair into a ponytail or an updo.
- Keep your hair in excellent condition with professional conditioners. Hair color molecules will slide out of hair that is dry and porous.
- Rinse your hair with tepid water, never hot.
- Protect your hair from the sun. The UV rays of the sun will fade hair color. Wear a hat.
- If you swim in chlorinated water, wet your hair with tap water before entering the pool. Shampoo your hair as soon as you get out.
- Shampooing your hair always causes hair color to fade. However, it has also been proven that some cleansing products will cause less fading. Carefully choose your hair care products. They will govern the life expectancy and quality of your hair color.
- One of the leading hair color protective hair care lines is PureOlogy. The literature says that longer lasting hair color is guaranteed with a 4 week, money back guarantee. The shampoo is sulfate free and contains UV inhibiting sunscreens.
- Nioxin products for chemically treated hair have what is called Glyco-Color Shield with clinically proven results. The literature states that it was tested by an independent research laboratory in a controlled environment. They show hair color swatches that represent hair color immediately after it is applied and 3 swatches showing it after 14 washings. The brightest swatch is immediately after color was applied. The next brightest is one on which Nioxinís 3 parts were used - cleanser, therapy and treatment. ( The color retention ingredients are said to be in all 3 parts) The next brightest Ė 2nd place - only Nioxin Cleanser was used and coming in at 3rd place was swatch that was cleansed with an unnamed, leading professional color potectant shampoo.
- The Redken company offers Color Extend Shampoo and Conditioner. They are said to extend the life of hair color by fighting environmental aggressors (UV rays,) poor cuticle condition (porosity,) and color-altering minerals. The Color Extend line also includes a deep conditioner and a spray in product that offers anti-fade protection.
These are only three of the many professional companies that are concerned with protecting your hair color. Your hairdresser may have another suggestion. To keep your hair color beautiful use high quality color care products. It is worth your time and effort.
Hair Color EBook
Learn to do your own hair color or
to make educated choices at the salon!
This book contains all you need to know, from choosing a color
to putting it on and avoiding problems.