Orange chicken is a Chinese takeout favorite. This version combines coated deep fried chicken pieces in a delicious and very orangey sauce. If you love great citrus flavors, then you will love this dish. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.5 lbs)
2 large green onions
peanut oil for frying
1 ½ cups orange juice
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
½ tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup flour
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into 1 inch pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Cut off the white bases and about an inch from the top of the green stems and discard. Then cut the remaining onion stalks into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a small bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. Stir thoroughly until most of the sugar has dissolved, and then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch for the sauce with just a little water until it dissolves and set it aside. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Set up a workstation to coat the chicken. Crack the eggs in a bowl and beat them well. Place the cornstarch and flour in separate shallow bowls, and have a clean plate nearby to place coated chicken on.
- Coat the chicken by dipping each piece into the flour, then the egg, and then the cornstarch. Then place the coated piece on the plate and continue coating the chicken.
- Once all of the chicken is coated, add 2 to 3 cups of peanut oil to the wok and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add the chicken to the wok. Depending on your wok’s size, cook about 10 to 12 pieces at one time, making sure not to overcrowd the wok. Let the pieces cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until light brown.
- Then remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Continue cooking the remaining chicken in batches.
- After all of the chicken is cooked, remove the oil and wipe out the wok.
- Then add the sauce mixture, heat it on high, and bring it to a boil.
- Once the sauce boils, add in the thickner (cornstarch mixture) and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then add the chicken and stir to coat each piece with the sauce.
- When the chicken is thoroughly coated, add in the green onion and mix it in thoroughly.
- Remove the wok from the heat and serve. This is delicious over steamed white rice. Makes about 3 servings.