Crab rangoon are one of my favorite Chinese restaurant appetizers. Filled with a delicious mixture of cream cheese and shredded crab, rangoon are easy to make and make the perfect party snack. The recipe below represents a simple and traditional crab rangoon. Try this amazing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these crab rangoon instructions click here.
8 oz cream cheese
6oz crab meat
2 large green onions
1 tsp worcestershire
½ tsp garlic salt
32 wonton wrappers
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix together the cream cheese and crab meat.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Cut off the white bases and about an inch from the top of the stalks and discard. Then dice the remaining stalks into tiny pieces.
- Add the diced green onion, worcestershire, and garlic salt to the crab mixture and stir everything together thoroughly.
- To make the crab rangoon, set up a work area. You will need a board or plate to wrap the rangoon on, the wonton wrappers, crab filling, a bowl of warm water, and a plate to place the finished rangoon on.
- Begin by placing a wonton wrapper on the board or plate in a diamond shape.
- Then spoon about 1 teaspoon of the crab mixture in the center of the wrapper.
- Moisten the edges of the top of the diamond shape by dipping a finger in the bowl of warm water and lightly spreading the top edges with it.
- Then fold up the bottom of the diamond in half, forming a triangle. Press down on the edges of the triangle making sure it is sealed tight. Next wet one of the bottom corners of this triangle. Then take the two bottom corners of the triangle and bring them together, overlapping the dry corner on top of the wet corner. Press them tightly to seal. If the crab mixture begins to squeeze out the sides, simply use less of the mixture.
- Then place the finished rangoon on the clean plate and continue to fill the remaining wonton wrappers.
- Once all of the crab rangoon are filled, heat the 2 to 3 cups of peanut oil on high.
- When the oil is hot (about 350 F,) carefully add in each rangoon. Cook about 8 to 10 at one time, making sure not to overcrowd the wok.
- Let them cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until light brown. Then remove them from the wok with a wire sieve and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately. Makes 32 crab rangoon.