This barbecue tofu is meaty, crispy, and delicious. It makes the perfect side dish for almost any meal. There are three main cooking steps to this recipe. First, the tofu is baked so that it becomes firm making it easier to fry. Second, it is coated and fried in oil to give it a crisp coating. And third, it is stir fried to coat it with the barbecue sauce. These three steps make a delicious meaty, crispy, and flavorful dish. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
1 package firm or extra firm tofu
2 egg whites
2 tbsp plus ¾ cup barbecue sauce
1½ cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 tbsp peanut oil
- If the tofu is packed in water, drain the water out and squeeze the tofu dry with paper towels.
- Cut it into 1 inch cubes. The best way to do this is to first stand it on its side and cut it in half lengthwise. Then keeping the two pieces together flip it so that it again resembles a rectangle with the long side toward you. Make three cuts of equal distance, and then make two cuts of equal distance the other way. Once these cuts are made, you will have even 1 inch sized cubes.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil. Place the tofu cubes on the sheet and heat the oven to 400F.
- Once the oven is hot put the tofu in and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the tofu from the pan and place it on a plate and let it cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg whites and the 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce. When the tofu pieces are cool, add them to this mixture and stir to coat them thoroughly.
- Next, prepare the flour coating. In another large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Then add the pieces of tofu one or two at a time coating them evenly with the flour mixture. Leave them in the flour mixture.
- Once they are all coated, heat a non stick shallow pan on high.
- When the pan is hot, add the peanut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add just half of the tofu pieces and cook them until they are brown on all sides. This takes about a minute on each side for a total of 6 minutes. Make sure to keep the oil temperature at 350F so that they don’t burn.
- When they are brown, remove them from the pan with a spatula and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Cook the remaining pieces of tofu.
- After all the pieces are cooked, remove the oil from the pan, wipe it out, and return it to high heat.
- Once hot, return the tofu to the pan, and then add in the remaining ¾ cup of barbecue sauce. Stir until hot and bubbly and all of the tofu pieces are thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately. This makes a great side dish for almost any meal. Makes about 3 servings.