Sesame chicken is a Chinese takeout favorite. Everyone seems to crave these crispy deep fried pieces of chicken tossed in a delicious sweet sesame sauce topped with sesame seeds and green onion. Although there are several different versions of this dish, this one proves to be the most popular. Try this amazing recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cups peanut oil
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp finely sliced green onion
2 tbsp sherry
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp powdered chicken bullion
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 ½ tsp sugar
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup honey (can be substituted with Karo Syrup)
¼ cup ketchup
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup flour
1 cup cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and each breast into 1 inch to 1 ½ inch pieces. Place these pieces in a container to be marinated.
- In a small cup mix together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Then pour this marinade over the chicken using your hands to make sure that it coats each piece evenly.
- Cover the chicken and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the sauce. In a large bowl mix together the ingredients for the sauce. Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed and then set it aside.
- Prepare to coat the chicken. Place the flour and cornstarch in separate bowls. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Set a clean plate nearby to place the coated chicken on.
- After the chicken has marinated for an hour, begin the coating process.
- To coat the chicken dip each piece first in the flour, then in the egg, and finally into the cornstarch. Shake off the excess and place the chicken piece on the clean plate. Continue coating each piece of chicken the same way.
- Once all of the chicken pieces are coated, heat the peanut oil in a large wok on high.
- When the oil is hot, add about 1/3 of the chicken pieces and let them cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown. Remember we don’t want to overcrowd the wok. Depending on the size of your wok you may want to cook more or less pieces at one time.
- After 8 to 10 minutes, remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Then continue cooking the remaining chicken pieces in batches.
- When all of the chicken is cooked, remove the oil from the wok and wipe it out with a paper towel.
- Add the sauce mixture and heat it on high. When the sauce starts to bubble, stir it around and let it cook for about 1 minute.
- Return the chicken to the wok and stir until each piece is coated with the sauce.
- Once the chicken is coated, remove the wok from the heat.
- To serve, place the chicken in a serving dish, sprinkle it with the sesame seeds and green onion. Makes about 3 servings.