Guest Author - Michelle Matile
As the summer is approaching I have been focusing on healthier ways to bake. Everyone wants to look good in their beach wear and not everyone wants a heavy dessert in the heat. I have been playing around with some of my existing recipes; sometimes just using slightly less fatty ingredients can save some calories and fat. This White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Biscotti is the perfect treat to satisfy a cookie and chocolate craving. I went light on the white chocolate chips and heavy on the macadamia nuts. Sometimes you just need a taste of chocolate to satisfy a craving. Macadamia nuts are a healthy addition to this recipe. They are high in protein and full of flavonoids.
After watching Dr. Oz and learning the health benefits of canola oil, I have been using canola oil more. I replaced the butter in this recipe with canola oil. It is the healthiest cooking oil. Canola oil is low in saturated fat and high in healthy unsaturated fat. It is rich with omega 6, omega 3, linoleic acid and alpha-linoleic acid. Consumed in moderation, this oil has heart health benefits.
White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Biscotti Recipe:
Makes 24 cookies
2 cups flour
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
An additional egg for an egg wash
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl, set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream together oil and sugar with an electric mixer.
4. Next beat in each egg.
5. Beat in water and vanilla.
6. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
7. Stir in white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
8. Form the dough into two logs on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Brush the dough with egg.
10. Bake for 25 minutes.
11. Take out and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
12. Slice into cookies.
13. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!