Whether you’re planning a party for Halloween, Christmas, or a birthday, an egg roll themed party will be a huge hit with any crowd! Simply prepare different fillings according to your guest’s tastes and have them fill their own egg rolls. Then just deep fry and enjoy! Here are the fillings that I prepared for my egg roll party. Feel free to add your own and if you have any great suggestions, please post them in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
1 pkg egg roll wrappers
3 cups peanut oil
¼ lb ground beef
1 lb thin cut pork chops
2 tbsp stir fry oil
½ lb pre cooked frozen shrimp
1 pkg dried squid
1 cup dried pork
1 can vegetarian meat
3 to 4 shiitake mushrooms
3 to 4 woodear mushrooms
4 green onions
1 pkg pre mixed coleslaw
2 to 3 tbsp stir fry oil
1 tbsp or more garlic salt
2 to 3 stalks celery
1 can bean sprouts
1 can water chestnuts
- Place the ground beef in a non stick pot and add about 1 cup of hot water. Stir the beef until it becomes fine in texture. Then heat it on high and let it come to a boil while constantly stirring. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Drain the beef with a fine sieve and place it in a serving bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and set it aside.
- Remove all of the fat from the pork chops and cut them into thin long strips.
- In a wok, heat the stir fry oil on high. Once it is hot, add the pork strips and cook them for 5 to 7 minutes or until brown. Then place them in a bowl, cover and set them aside with the ground beef.
- Defrost the shrimp by soaking them in warm water for 10 to 20 minutes. Once defrosted, remove the tails and shells (if any) and cut them into tiny pieces. Then place the shrimp in a bowl, cover and set aside.
- Both the dried shrimp and dried pork can be placed in bowls and set aside with the other meat fillings.
- Open and drain the vegetarian meat and place it in a bowl and set it aside.
- Next, start preparing the vegetable fillings. Soak both the shiitake and woodear mushrooms in hot water for about 20 minutes or until they expand.
- Once they expand, cut them into thin strips, place them in a bowl and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them with a paper towel. Then cut off their bases and about an inch from the green tops and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into tiny pieces. Place them in a bowl and set them aside.
- Empty the bag of coleslaw mix into a large microwaveable safe bowl. Add the stir fry oil and garlic salt and mix it in thoroughly. Microwave it on high for about 5 minutes or until soft. Then set it aside.
- Rinse the celery stalks under cold running water and dry them with a paper towel. Then slice them into thin slices. Place these slices in a microwaveable bowl and cover them with hot water. Then microwave them on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft. Once soft, drain them through a sieve and set them aside.
- Open and drain the canned bean sprouts. Place them in a microwave safe bowl and cover them with hot water. Then microwave them on high for 1 to 2 minutes and drain them in a sieve like the celery. Repeat these steps for the water chestnuts as well.
- Once all the fillings are prepared, set them out on a table or counter buffet style. Then place plates, the egg roll wrappers, and a bowl of warm water nearby.
- Now you are ready to begin the party. Have guests fill and roll their own egg rolls. You may have to demonstrate how to roll the egg rolls. As I learned at my party, some people may need help rolling them properly.
- Once everyone has one to two egg rolls rolled, in a large wok heat the peanut oil on high. When it reaches 350F deep fry the egg rolls, about 4 at a time. Then place them on your guest’s plates and enjoy. Serves about 6 guests (2 to 3 egg rolls each.)