Motorcycle Ride to Work Day
Because of several factors, the Annual Ride to Work Day has been moved up to the third Monday in the month of June. The reasoning behind this is: more news exposure because Monday is a heavier news day, some companies are off for the month of July (particularly in Europe), and a Monday event encourages riders to ride all week.
The main purpose of the Annual Ride to Work Day is to show non-riders, whether they are politicians or the general public, the many positive benefits of motorcycle riding. Some of the benefits are listed below:
- Motorcycles use less fuel consumption. For example, RTW estimates that 150,000 estimated motorcyclists riding their motorcycles on Ride to Work Day saves about 60,000 gallons of fuel for just that one day. If every day were Ride To Work Day, RTW estimates that 15,000,000 less gallons of fuel would be consumed. With the soaring cost of gasoline, how can this not be a winning proposition?
- Motorcycles use less parking spaces. Two to four motorcycles can fit into one automobile parking space. In the city I work at, motorcycles can park by the curb for free.
- Educate the public that motorcyclists are from all walks of life and are not wild, trashy, or disrespectful, as some dated stereotypes suggest. Believe it or not, some people still think of motorcyclists as the old television bad guys. Let's prove that they are wrong.
- Motorcycles cause less wear on roads. Motorcycles weigh less and only have two wheels, unless you have a trike.
- Motorcycles use less of our natural resources to manufacture and operate.
- Motorcycles create less traffic congestion even though many people argue that point. Some cities split lanes where motorcycles can go in between automobiles reducing overall road congestion. Another argument is that motorcyclists must be more aware while riding, no talking on cell phones and being distracted, therefore, more attention on the road and less congestion. In most states, motorcycles get to ride in the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes, therefore reducing congestion.
With all the great benefits of motorcycle riding, how can you not want to show off your motorcycle to your coworkers by participating in the Annual Ride to Work Day? There is also the benefit of feeling great when you arrive at work because of riding your motorcycle and the relaxation of knowing you get to ride it home, because you can! Don't forget the benefits of Vitamin D from exposure to the sun.
Don't forget to help reduce fuel consumption and promote a positive biker image on the third Monday of June, Annual Ride to Work Day. For more information or to obtain promotional materials about the Annual Ride to Work Day, click on the related links below.
Until next week. Ride safe.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Nancy Brotherton. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Nancy Brotherton. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.