Crockpot cooking is an easy way to make delicious warm home cooked meals; and the best part is you don’t even have to be home all day. Simply prep the ingredients ahead of time, place them all in the crock pot, and let the slow cooking process do the rest. Crockpot cooking is perfect for those of us who work all day and have family members who just love home cooked meals.
This Chinese crock pot beef recipe is perfect for these cold winter days. It combines the traditional Chinese flavors of soy sauce, ginger and star anise to create a warm and delicious beef dish. Serve this beef over either steamed white or fried rice to soak in the amazing flavor of the sauce. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
1 ¾ lb boneless shoulder roast
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1 large green onion
½ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
2 cups beef broth
3 star anise
- Remove all of the fat from the beef and then cut it into 1 ½ inch pieces. Sprinkle these beef pieces with the salt and pepper.
- Then in a large pot, heat the peanut oil on high. If you have a crock pot that has a stovetop resistant insert, then use this as your pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef and brown it on all sides. This takes about 2 to 5 minutes per side. While the beef cooks, prepare the ginger and green onion.
- Peel the ginger using a peeler or a sharp knife. Then cut it into thick 1/8 inch slices and set them aside. A one inch piece should make about 4 to5 slices.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Then cut about an inch from the top of the green part and the very bottom of the white base and discard. Cut the remaining stalk into 1/8 inch pieces and set them aside.
- Once the beef is brown on all sides, remove it from the pot and place it in your crock pot. Then add the soy sauce, sugar, shao hsing wine, beef broth, star anise, ginger and green onion pieces. Cover, and let it cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, place it in a serving bowl and serve with either white or fried rice. Makes about 3 servings.