Guest Author - Michelle Matile
A traditional whoopie pie consists of a marshmallow cream sandwiched between two chocolate cakes. I continued with tradition by making the chocolate cake-like cookies. However, that is where the similarities end. There is no marshmallow in this filling. This filling consists of cream cheese and whipped topping. I then divided the cream cheese filling and added strawberries to one and toffee to the other. The results were delicious. These are so quick and easy to make. I prefer the cream cheese filling to the marshmallow.
Cream Cheese Whoopie Pie Recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. instant coffee
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2 cups flour
1 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, cocoa, coffee baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixture.
4. Add the egg and beat until combined.
5. Beat in the milk and vanilla.
6. Add the flour mixture, half at a time, beating after each addition.
7. On a greased cookie sheet drop rounded scoops of batter, a little smaller than 1/4 cup.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
9. Cool on a rack.
Cream Cheese Filling Recipe
8 oz. container of whipped topping
8 oz. Package of cream cheese, softened
10 strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup chocolate toffee bits
1. In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer.
2. Whisk in the whipped topping.
3. Separate half of the cream cheese mixture to a second bowl.
4. Fold in the strawberries to one bowl.
5. Add the toffee bits to the second bowl and stir until just combined.
6. To prepare pies spread a scoop of cream cheese mixture on the cake.
7. Top with another cake.
8. Continue until you have filled all pies.
9. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!