Crockpot cooking is an easy way to make delicious warm home cooked meals; and the best part is you don’t even have to be home all day. This chicken can be prepared ahead of time, placed in the crock pot and left to simmer for a good 8 hours. It is the perfect recipe for those busy hectic days when you still want to come home and enjoy a delicious warm meal.
A good crock pot is an excellent investment that will save you time and money in the long run. Though there are hundreds of different crock pots on the market, I do suggest purchasing one that has an insert that is stove top safe, a programmable timer, and is large enough for making meals for company. The crock pot that I currently use has none of these features. However it was very inexpensive and is an excellent item for the price. I soon hope to purchase a larger and more functional one.
This teriyaki chicken recipe does require some pre cooking. The chicken breasts are first browned on both sides which takes about 10 to 15 minutes and then placed in the slow cooker. You can however, skip this step if you wish. The chicken will still come out delicious with just a slight difference in texture and flavor. I have made this dish both ways on several occasions, skipping the pre cooking on those mornings when I have less time. Try this wonderful recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 inch piece fresh ginger
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup regular soy sauce
2 tsp jarred pre chopped garlic
2 tbsp brown sugar
- Rinse the chicken breasts under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Remove all of the fat from the chicken. Then sprinkle each side of each breast with the garlic salt set them aside.
- In a large skillet heat the oil on high. If you have a slow cooker with a stove top safe insert, then heat the oil in this.
- Once the oil is hot, brown the chicken on both sides. Then place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Remove all of the skin from the ginger using a peeler. Then with a micro plane grater, grate the ginger.
- In a large cup mix together the ginger, both of the soy sauces, the chopped garlic and the brown sugar.
- Once it is thoroughly mixed, pour it over the chicken and cover. Cook the chicken on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with either white or fried rice. Makes 4 servings.