Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Lighter Brownie Recipe
This brownie recipe delivers a lighter version of cakelike brownies. These brownies may be lighter but they are big on chocolate flavor. There are a few substitutions that lightened up the recipe. Half of the butter is replaced with Greek yogurt. This saves on calories and fat. In addition, Greek yogurt is a good source of protein. I also cut down on the amount of sugar in these brownies. Even with less sugar this brownie was sweet. I find that most baked goods contain too much sugar. I almost always use less sugar than what recipes suggest. In some recipes I have drastically cut the sugar to half and no one seems to notice. The last adjustment was replacing one third of the all purpose flour with garbanzo bean flour. Garbanzo bean flour is made from ground chick peas. It contains fewer calories, less carbohydrates and has more fiber and protein than traditional flour. Bobís Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour is sold at most local grocery stores. You no longer have to go to specialty stores for healthier options. Another healthy flour is almond flour. However, almond flour is significantly more expensive than most other flours.
Lighter Brownie Recipe
1 stick of butter
5.3oz. container plain Greek yogurt
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 cup baking cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9X13 baking pan.
3. In a medium sized sauce pan combine butter, sugar, and instant coffee.
4. Heat over low heat and stir constantly to avoid burning.
5. Stir until sugar and coffee have dissolved.
6. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 3-5 minutes.
7. In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
8. Whisk in the eggs.
9. Stir the vanilla and yogurt into the butter mixture.
10. Pour that butter mixture into the flour and eggs.
11. Stir until combined.
12. Stir in the chocolate chips.
13. Pour the batter into the baking pan.
14. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2014 by Michelle Matile. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Michelle Matile. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Michelle Matile for details.
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.