There are many different variations of Chinese sponge cake. This is a recipe for the traditional style steamed sponge cake. However this cake is lighter in color than some of the traditional style cakes simply because the recipe uses light brown sugar instead of dark brown. Either of these sugars can be used, though I prefer the lighter taste that the light brown sugar adds.
Other recipes also sometimes call for different types of flour. All purpose flour is sometimes used to add a denser texture. The cake flour in this recipe gives a light and airy, but still cake like texture. Non glutinous rice flour can also be used to create a doughy texture. Try this delicious cake recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
1 Ĺ cups light brown sugar
ĺ cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 Ĺ cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp shortening
3 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and beat them on high until they are stiff. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Once they are thick and stiff in consistency, slowly add in the brown sugar a little at a time and continue to beat.
- Next, add the milk and then vanilla, while still beating everything together.
- In another large bowl add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix these dry ingredients thoroughly together. Then slowly add this dry mixture a little at a time to the wet ingredients while continually beating.
- In a small cup mix together the shortening and vegetable oil until it forms a paste like consistency. Then again slowly add this mixture to the mixing bowl, not beating, but lightly stirring it in until thoroughly mixed.
- Add hot water to a steamer and heat it on high.
- While waiting for the water to boil, line a cake or bread pan (one that fits inside your steamer) with wax paper. Then slowly pour the batter into the pan until it is about 1 to 1 Ĺ inches thick.
- Once the water boils, place the cake pan inside the steamer and cover it. Steam it on high for about 25 minutes. Donít remove the cover until after 25 minutes. Otherwise the cake may fall and flatten.
- After itís cooked, remove the cake pan from the steamer and let the cake cool Ė about 15 minutes.
- Then slowly remove the cake from the pan by pulling up the sides of the wax paper. Then remove the wax paper from the cake and place the cake on a plate.
- Cut it into slices and serve. Makes 12 to 15 servings.