This orange chicken recipe is an easy way to make a delicious dinner without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Tender chicken topped with sweet orange sauce make a perfect meal that the whole family will enjoy. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
As I have stated in my other slow cooker recipes, a good crock pot is an excellent investment that will save you time and money in the long run. The best crock pots have some great time saving features. Crock pots that have an insert that is stove top safe make it easy to go from browning to slow cooking. Those that have a programmable timer are great for those long work days. Just set it to come on and shut off at certain times and when you arrive home your meal is done. Finally, the crock pot should be large enough to feed your family plus maybe a guest or two. These are the main features to look for when purchasing a crock pot.
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 medium sized orange
¼ cup ketchup
1 cup orange juice
1 tbsp orange marmalade
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from each of the breasts and then sprinkle them with the salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on high. If you have a slow cooker with a stove top safe insert, then heat the oil in this.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until both sides of each breast are brown about 7 to 9 minutes on each side.
- Once the chicken browns, remove the breasts from the pot and place them in the slow cooker.
- Without wiping out the pot, use a micro plane grater to grate about a teaspoon of orange zest from the orange into the pot.
- Then add the marmalade, orange juice, ketchup, and ground ginger and turn the heat on low. Stir constantly until everything is thoroughly combined. Then bring the sauce to a light simmer.
- Once it simmers, pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and turn the crock pot on low and let it cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove the chicken breasts and place them on a serving plate. Cover them with foil to keep them warm while thickening the sauce.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves.
- Then pour the sauce into a pot, or again if you have a slow cooker with a stove top safe insert, then simply place it on the stove.
- Heat the sauce on high. Once it begins to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- When the sauce is thick, remove it from the heat. Remove the foil from the chicken and pour the sauce on top just before serving.
- This goes great with white rice and stir fried broccoli. Makes 3 servings.